Last Updated: 8th January 2021
Follow Expats Ecuador (por favor)!
Expats Ecuador FacebookExpats Ecuador Instagram

Editor's note: This article has been contributed by our friend, Ian. Whilst this guide specifically focuses on how to extend your tourist visa in Cuenca, it's a very similar process if applying at other migration offices around Ecuador.

Ecuador may not be a big country but there is definitely plenty to see. With beautiful cities, mountains, jungle and beaches, 90 days in Ecuador may just not be enough to see it all. But did you know how easy it is to get a visa extension in Ecuador?

Ecuador Tourist Visa Extension Cuenca
Too much beauty to see in only 90 days

How Long Can I Extend My Tourist Visa?

Well, don’t worry. For a small fee and just a little paperwork, the Ecuadorean government will let you stay for another 90 days if you wish.

As I had been enjoying Ecuador so much and traveling rather slowly, I decided I was going to get a visa extension in Ecuador for another 90 days. I happened to be in the city of Cuenca when my 90 days were up. This turned out to be a great place to take care of things.

The Tourist Visa Extension Process

I will walk you through the process of how to get a visa extension in Cuenca. But I can’t guarantee it will be this easy everywhere. To be honest, if you have survived 90 days in Ecuador already then you are probably smart enough to figure out this process without too much help.

Beautiful Cuenca

Tourist Visa Extension Requirements

If you can speak Spanish, a quick visit to the Ecuadorean’s government website will tell you most things you need to know. The most important thing on this page is the list of immigration offices that you can go to, to extend your visa.

Supposedly you can extend your visa online, and also download the paperwork you need on this site. When I applied for my extension, neither of these features were working. As long as you are not staying too far from an immigration office, I think a quick trip there is probably the easiest way to take care of things.

The Tranvia stops right outside the airport

Cuenca Immigration Office

My closest immigration office was at the airport in Cuenca. This was an easy bus ride from the house I was staying at. If you are staying in downtown Cuenca, the Tranvia will drop you right at the front door for only 30 cents. You can even walk there in about 30 minutes, or just a 5 minute walk from the main bus terminal.

Only Extend After Your Initial 90 Days

I arrived at the immigration office on the morning of my 90th day in Ecuador. Well, that was a mistake. You actually have to wait until your visa has expired and you are in the country illegally. Only then can you apply for an extension! You don’t have to actually extend your visa on your 91st day in the country. I was told there is a 20 day grace period for you to take care of things. But as I was close by, I did it on the morning of day 91.

Ecuador Tourist Visa Extension Airport
Cuenca's Airport

Luckily the women at the Cuenca office were very friendly and helpful on my first visit and let me know everything I needed for the next day:

  • Your passport
  • A color copy of your passport.
  • The correct form filled out
  • A fee of $133.33 paid into their bank account

The lady gave me the correct form to fill out for the next day. It is such a simple form it’s really not worth downloading and printing ahead of time.

Passport Copy at Cuenca Airport

To obtain the color copy of my passport, she directed me to one of the restaurants in the nearby food court of the airport. Lomos Restaurant has a copier under the counter and will give you a color copy for just 50 cents.

Get your photocopy done here

Obtain Payment Slip

The most helpful part of visiting a day early was that she gave me a payment slip for the bank. She filled out all of the details for me and gave me the address of the nearest bank.

You can make the payment at any Banco del Pacifico. But I chose to pay at the one she told me was closest. The fee for 2021 is $133.33. Why this amount you may ask? It is based on the minimum wage in Ecuador and the fee is a third of that amount.

Pay on Same Day as Applying for Visa Extension

The lady was very, very specific in that the fee must only be paid on the same day that you plan to extend your visa. Do not go into the bank and pay the day before!

So on my 91st day, I headed back into El Centro. I headed straight to the Banco Del Pacifico that I was told about. It is about a 15-minute walk from the airport, or a quick Tranvia or taxi ride if you prefer.

Now if you have been in Ecuador for 90 days already, then you have probably noticed the huge lines outside the banks every day. I showed up, fully expecting to be waiting for an hour or more in one of these lines. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Shocked. No line at all! After a quick temperature check at the door, I was directed straight to the counter. The bank teller knew exactly what I was there for. Within a couple of minutes, I was walking back to the airport to get my visa extension.

Ecuador Tourist Visa Extension Immigration Office
The immigration office at Cuenca Airport

The immigration office is on the second floor of the Cuenca airport. It’s just to the right of the stairs leading up there. Cuenca airport is very quiet and you should have no problem finding it.

It is open Mon – Fri from 8 am to 4.30 pm. Both times I visited, I walked straight up to the counter with no waiting. That’s probably something to do with how few tourists there are in the country at the moment. During normal, non-covid times, I expect things might take a little longer.

The lady at the counter remembered me from the day before. She took my passport, completed form, color copy of my passport, and the bank receipt. Within less than 5 minutes I was out of there with another 90 days in Ecuador in my hand. Getting a visa extension in Ecuador really is that easy!

Visa Extension Ecuador Receipt
My visa extension

Your visa extension just comes printed on a piece of paper. Nothing is actually put in your passport. Be careful not to lose this expensive piece of paper.

Also, remember that you cannot leave the country and re-enter with this extension. It is not good for multiple entries like your original visa. Once you leave, you will not be able to re-enter Ecuador until one year after your original entry date.

How was your experience extending your visa in Ecuador? Was it as easy as mine? Did you do it in a different city. Let me know your experiences in the comments below.

Further Reading

Now that many countries are considering offering 'digital nomad visas' or 'remote work visas', it's time to ask ourselves whether any of these are actually worthwhile for digital nomads. 

Why are countries starting to offer digital nomad visas? 

It's clear that many countries that started offering digital nomad visas in 2020 have done so as a way to bolster their local economies on the back of the devastating impact of COVID 19. Tourism around the world has decreased by 70% in 2020, so trying to open up non-traditional tourism markets makes sense. At least on the surface. 

However, this approach can seem a little short-sighted when you dig into the actual requirements for each country. It then becomes obvious that these measures are only designed to increase the tourism sector of the economy, with few countries seemingly willing to embrace digital nomadism and the benefits of growing their digital ecosystem. 

There are some notable exceptions such as Estonia that have been developing their digitally focused visas for several years. 

Which countries offer digital nomad visas? 

These countries offer visas specifically aimed at, or are otherwise potentially suitable for, digital nomads, remote workers and freelancers. I've also included the main requirements - but obviously do your own due diligence before applying for any.

Digital Nomad Visas

Requirements by Country


Health Insurance


Employment, COVID tests etc

More Info

Antigua & Barbuda
$50,000 yearly
1. Work for employer outside of country
Own a location independent business
2. Pay $1500 Visa Fee
$50,000 yearly
1. Work for employer outside of country
Own a location independent business
2. COVID 19 Test + Quarantine
3. Pay $2000 visa fee
1. Work for employer outside of country
Own a location independent business
2. COVID 19 Test
3. Pay $263 visa fee
Cayman Islands
$100,000 yearly
1. Work for employer outside of country
2. Background checks
3. Notarized bank reference letter
4. Pay $1,460 visa fee
Costa Rica
1. Work for employer outside of country
2. Maybe more requirements as proposal is finalized
1. Proposal working it's way through government. Should know more early 2021. 
Czech Republic
1. Accommodation booked for 1 year
2. €5,587 in bank account
 3. Hold an appropriate trade licence
4. Pay $80/month in local taxes
4. Pay €100 visa fee
$5,000 monthly
1. Work for employer outside of country (1 year contract) or  your own company
2. Pay $287 visa fee
$400 monthly
1. Have bachelors degree (or higher)
2. Background checks
3. Pay $450 in visa fees 
€ 3504 monthly
1. Work for employer outside of country or your own business
2. Pay €100 visa fee
$2,000 monthly
1. Work for employer outside of country or your own company
2. Can pay taxes in Georgia
1. Address in Germany
2. Proof you can sustain yourself
3. Have clients in Germany
4. Pay €100 visa fee
$1,620 monthly
1. Work for employer outside of country or your own company
2. Pay approx $300 in visa fees
€35,719 yearly
1. Work for client(s) in Norway
2. Relevant qualifications 
3. Accommodation in Norway 
4. Pay approx €600 in visa fees 
€600 monthly
1.Background check
2.  Pay approx €155 in visa fees
Anguilla (UK)
1. Mandatory COVID 19 tests & 10 day quarantine
2. Able to support yourself financially (although no minimum income specified)
3. Pay $2,000 visa fee

Data taken mostly from Expert Vagabond

High income requirements

As you can see, the income requirements for many of these visas are quite steep, with many countries deciding to only open their doors to individuals earning $5K/month consistently. This pushes these types of visas out of reach for many digital nomads, making them more appropriate only for remote workers or some freelancers.

To illustrate, let's focus on one of the largest digital nomad vocations, online English teachers. Do you think many of these digital nomads are earning $5K/month? I know many that consistently earn $1.5K - $3K, but $5K/month is out of reach for most. 

A quick calculation means that at $20/hour, they'd need to teach 250 hours each month to hit $5K. This would mean 8.2 hours every day, including weekends. This is a lot of online teaching. It's just not doable for most. 

Digital Nomad Visas vs Temporary Residence Visas

The table above includes countries that have either:

  1. Created a new visa specifically for digital nomads / remote workers; or
  2. Have an existing temporary residence visa that is attractive to digital nomads

Temporary Resident Visas

Ecuador is a great example of a country that doesn't have a specific digital nomad visa, and perhaps doesn't need to. 

Why? Because many digital nomads can already legally work using one of Ecuador's several types of temporary resident visas. The most popular amongst digital nomads is the 'Professional Visa', which has the lowest monthly income requirement of any country at $400. You'll also need a bachelor's degree (or higher), background checks and health insurance.

Sure, the process to apply for the visa can be a little tedious and time consuming, but even if you opt to use a visa facilitator, the entire visa cost is still likely to be less than $2K. And this is for a 2-year visa. 

Yes, I might be a little biased because I live in Ecuador. But, my decision to live in Ecuador came after years of digital nomading. The ease of which to obtain residency was an important factor in my decision. 

Offer both Nomad and Temporary Residence Visas

There are rare circumstances where a country actually fits into both of the above categories. The best example of this is Costa Rica that, at the time of writing, is currently pushing a proposal to create a new type of visa suitable for digital nomads that have employment outside of Costa Rica. 

But, they already have a temporary residency visa, the Rentista, that allows foreigners to stay for up to two years. The main difference is that they require a guaranteed monthly income of $2,500 such as property investments, annuities etc, or depositing $60K into a Costa Rican bank. Whilst the visa allows you to work for yourself, you can't work for another company. 

What is interesting about their current digital nomad visa proposal is they've basically doubled the minimum income requirement; from $2,500 to $5,000. Given the monthly minimum wage in Costa Rica is less than $500, the new visa is basically asking digital nomads to earn 10x what locals do. 

Is this healthy for the economy long-term? I'm not so sure. But, I do know that if their digital nomad visa is successful, you can expect the income inequality gap to increase as more wealthy remote workers take up office on their shores. 

Final word - Don't believe the hype

Whilst it's great to see many countries starting to offer digital nomad visas, the income requirements make them less than welcoming for many. It's a move in the right direction for sure, but there is much more work to be done if they actually want to attract digital nomads in volume. 

And remember, you may be better served by applying for a visa in a country such as Ecuador that doesn't offer visas specific to digital nomads, but is still very digital nomad friendly. 

What's your experience with digital nomad visas? I'd love to hear it in the comments below. 

Feature image: Digital Douchebag

Ecuador is one of the easiest countries to obtain a long term visa. There are multiple pathways to residency and the investment is relatively low.

After reading this guide you should have all the Ecuador visa information you need to decide whether Ecuador is a viable long-term option for you.

You may even have 2 or 3 different residency visa options open to you. Let's find out together!

Please note that visa requirements for Ecuador change frequently and these changes are not always well-publicized (if at all). So, it's always best to check with an immigration lawyer or at least a visa facilitator first.

Let's touch on some basics visa facts:

Do I need a visa to enter Ecuador?

Citizens from most countries, including the US, Canada, UK & Australia, do not need to obtain a visa prior to entering Ecuador as shown by the following map:

Ecuador Visa Free Countries Map

Which countries do need a visa to enter?

Nationals from the following 30 countries require a visa:

North KoreaPakistanPhilippinesSenegal
SomaliaSri LankaSyriaVenezuela

90 Day Tourist Stamp (or Visa Waiver)

Nationals from countries that do not require a visa can are issued a tourist stamp on arrival. This is valid for 90 days within a rolling year.

What is a rolling year?

This does confuse visitors, but it's relatively simple. Unlike many countries that use a calendar year, Ecuador uses your date of entry as the start of your 365 days.

For example, say you enter Ecuador on July 20, 2021. Then, you're allowed to stay 90 days until your year finishes on July 19, 2022.

You can come and go as you please, providing you haven't used up all of your 90 days.

Can I do a border run to reset my 90 days?

No. Sorry. Border runs are popular in countries like Thailand and Vietnam where you can reset the number of days you're allowed to stay in the country by popping into a neighboring country and then returning.

As such, visiting Peru, Colombia or any other country will not reset your 90-day allocation.

Can I extend past my initial 90 days?

Yes, you can extend for another 90 days relatively easy. After that you can potentially even extend for another 180 days with a Special Tourist Visa (available once every 5 years).

Types of Resident Visas

The main types of residency visas popular with expats are:

  1. Retirement Visa (Jubilado)
  2. Investors Visa (Inversionista)
  3. Professional Visa (Profesional)
  4. Rentista Visa
  5. Dependent Visa incl Marriage (Amparo)

We've broken down each visa type, including the requirements and costs below.


Casio Edifice EF527D-1AV

Ecuador Pensioner Visa Requirements


  • Low income requirement of $400 / month (was $800)
  • No additional income required for dependants (was $100)
  • No income stuck in investments
  • No education requirement


  • Not an option for non-retirees

Pensioner Visa Requirements

  • $400 per month social security or other guaranteed income
  • An official statement from the income source (signed and notarized)
  • All documents outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Requirements' below

Pensioner Visa Costs

  • Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
  • Visa fee: $400 (only pay if approved)
  • Variable fees outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Costs' below

Ecuador's Pensioner Visa (or Retirement Visa, Pensionado, Jubilado) is the most popular type of visa for retired expats wanting to spend their golden years in Ecuador. 

The main requirement is that you receive a guaranteed income for life. This is most often satisfied via regular social security checks, but it is not limited to this income source only. 

You can also have income from other guaranteed sources such as pensions, annuities, superannuation, etc. But, the main point is that the income must be guaranteed for the remainder of your life. 

If you are using social security, then you'll need to obtain an official letter from Social Security Administration. This also needs to be signed and notarized. 

Dependants can also be included on a Pensioner Visa. This includes spouses, children, and grandchildren. However, this can be risky because it's tied to the primary visa holder. If something happens (ie relationship breakdown or death), then the dependants need to apply for their own visa(s). 

The law was changed in Oct 2020 to make this visa even more attractive. They reduced the amount of monthly income required from $800 to $400. They also removed the additional $100 income requirement for each dependant.

This makes Ecuador one of the most expat-friendly destinations for retirees wanting to maximize their social security. 

Best choice for:
Pensioner Visa
Retirees with social security benefits
The $400 monthly income requirement is one of the lowest in the world. If you have social security, this is the visa for you.  
Michelle & Jason EE
Michelle & Jason
Expats Ecuador


Casio Edifice EF527D-1AV

Ecuador Investor Visa Requirements


  • Low investment amount of $40K
  • More flexibility to spend time outside of Ecuador
  • High CD interest rates of 8.5%
  • Property investments also count 


  • $40K is tied up for the duration of your visa
  • Hard to get money out of CDs (or property) if needed
  • Still need to prove $400 monthly income

Investment Visa Requirements

  • Proof of investment of $40K + $500 for each dependant
  • Cannot withdraw the principal amount for the duration of visa
  • $400 monthly income from any source
  • All documents outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Requirements' below

Investment Visa Costs

  • Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
  • Visa fee: $400 (only pay if approved)
  • Variable fees outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Costs' below

Ecuador's Investor Visa (or Real Estate Visa, Inversionista) is popular amongst expats that don't receive social security benefits. 

The two main pathways are: 

  1. Parking $40,000 into an Ecuadorian CD (Certificate of Deposit); or
  2. Purchasing a property with an assessed value of at least $40,000

There's also the possibility of other investment options such as investing in an Ecuadorian business, but we're going to only focus on the 2 popular pathways listed above. 

1. $40,000 parked in a bank CD

This is generally the preferred option because it's a whole lot easier and less risky than purchasing a property. 

The best part about Certificates of Deposits (CDs) in Ecuador? The high interest rates of course. The most popular banking option in Cuenca (JEP) currently offers 8.5% as their standard rate. Obviously, the rate changes, but you should expect significantly higher interest rates than in the US etc. 

Of course, all investments carry risk and this one is no different. Many banks and co-operatives that offer CDs do have protection up to $32,000. But, as the minimum CD amount is $40,000, this still leaves $8,000 unprotected if something does happen. 

And no, you can't mix and match your CDs at different institutions in an effort to ensure all the $40K is protected. It needs to be one CD. 

You can't touch the principal amount for the duration of your visa (ie 2 years initially). However, you can take out the interest or just let it compound so you have yourself a nice little bonus at the end of your two years. 

ie At the end of two years @ 8.5% interest: 

  • Year 1 = $43,400 ($40,000 + $3,400)
  • Year 2 = $47,079 ($43,400 + $3,689)

Your profit on the original investment is $7,079. Not bad at all. Time to treat yourself to a little shopping holiday!

When setting up your CD make sure you take notice of the terms and conditions. Especially the default roll-over provisions should you want to request your money back. You'll likely have a very limited window as the term of the CD expires to request your money or you may have to wait another term. It's VERY difficult to try and obtain your money mid-term. We aren't talking about penalties for early withdrawals, it's more along the lines of "Sorry, you can't access your money. Period."

2. Property worth $40,000 or more 

Ecuador has some of the most affordable property prices for expats. And, prices are likely to continue to fall as COVID forces more distressed owners to sell. This can make it very tempting to kill two birds with one stone by buying yourself a cheap property that you can also use to obtain your Investor Visa. 

However, buying property in Ecuador is very risky and not something we generally recommend unless you really, really know what you're doing & have already lived here for at least a year. Take our quiz on Buying vs Renting to see if you're ready. 

Ecuador is a very different property market than what you're used to. It's very easy to get burnt and can be frustratingly difficult to sell. 

If you do decide to go down the property path, note that it isn't the purchase price that matters. It's the assessed value (ie the amount you pay tax on) that needs to be over $40,000 plus an additional $500 for each dependant attached to the visa. 

$400 monthly income required

You're still required to prove that you have the finances to sustain yourself for the 2-year duration of your temporary residence visa. This is generally not a substantial burden as they accept printed statements from your internet banking and these do not need to be apostilled or translated. 

The source of the income is not important. They just want to see regular income coming in over the previous 6 months. 

No limitations on time outside of Ecuador

Other popular residency visas generally only allow you to stay outside of Ecuador for 90 days. However, the Investor Visa does not have any restrictions on how long you can stay outside of Ecuador and still maintain your Investor Visa.

This can be a significant advantage for seasonal or 'bluebird' expats that like to escape their cold North American winters in favor of Ecuador's more temperate climate. 

The main caveat is that if you're considering eventually applying for permanent residency (and eventually citizenship), then you'll be limited to a maximum of 180 days each year for the first 3 years of your permanent residency. 

So, if you aren't considering permanent residency or citizenship, then it might be best for you to re-apply for an Investors Visa every two years. Yes, this will mean more paperwork and costs over the long-term, but that might be a small price for having Ecuador as your second home. 

Exit tax

If you do decide to leave Ecuador, you should be aware of the current 5% exit tax on cash leaving the country. There has been continuous talk of removing the tax, but until it actually happens you should be prepared to lose 5% on any capital leaving Ecuador. 

Now, if you've had your money earning 8.5% interest for two years, then you're still going to come out significantly ahead. But it's still a hit to your hip pocket. 

Best choice for:
Investor Visa
Freedom to spend time outside of Ecuador
The Investor Visa is ideal for expats that need to spend more than 90 days outside of Ecuador whilst their money is working for them in a high interest CD.  
Michelle & Jason EE
Michelle & Jason
Expats Ecuador


Casio Edifice EF527D-1AV

Ecuador Temporary Residency Professional Visa


  • Don't need to actually work in your profession
  • Visa isn't linked to your employer
  • No money tied in investments
  • Popular pathway for university-educated expats


  • Only available if you hold a bachelors degree (or higher)
  • Online degrees are generally not accepted by SENESYCT
  • Registering degree with SENESYCT can be difficult

Professional Visa Requirements

  • A bachelor, or higher, degree from a university recognized by the Ecuadorian government (SENESYCT). Apostilled.
  • Unversity transcript of results. Apostilled. 
  • Mode of study letter. Apostilled. 
  • The course was taken predominantly in-person (not online)
  • Can prove $400 minimum monthly income
  • All documents outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Requirements' below

Professional Visa Costs

  • Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
  • Visa fee: $400 (only pay if approved)
  • Variable fees outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Costs' below

Ecuador's Professional Visa is the most popular choice amongst younger, university-educated expats. I have this visa and it's served me well. 

This is a very flexible visa because the only significant requirement is that you have a bachelor's degree (or higher). The idea being that professional migrants will help the Ecuadorian economy.

You don't even need to have any post-graduate experience in your chosen degree or work in that field in Ecuador. Nothing. You'll find many 'digital nomads' or remote workers using this visa. 

The most difficult part of the process for me was registering my degree with SENESYCT. They made me jump through numerous bureaucratic hoops before they would accept my degree. 

The problem? They had issues with my Mode of Study Letter and wanted to be sure that my degree was taken in-person and not online. I did study in-person, but because I studied two degrees and my transcript didn't differentiate between them, they had a hard time satisfying themselves that the singular degree I wanted to register was taught in-person. This took many emails between my university, SENESYCT, my facilitator and myself before it was finally resolved. 

The main take away is that if your visa application doesn't fit perfectly into how they want it, then you will face delays and possible rejection. 

You do need to provide evidence that you're receiving more than $400 income each month. But, print outs from your internet banking suffice and they don't need to be apostilled, translated, or notarized (phew). 

We've previously covered the requirements and process if you need more details on how to obtain a Professional Visa. 

Best choice for:
Professional Visa
Expats with university degrees studied in-person
The Professional Visa is a flexible temporary residency visa option providing you can navigate SENESYCT's requirements. 
Michelle & Jason EE
Michelle & Jason
Expats Ecuador


Casio Edifice EF527D-1AV

Ecuador Rentista Visa Requirements


  • Income doesn't need to be guaranteed for life
  • Low monthly income of $400 required
  • Ideal for expats that don't receive social security


  • Relatively new visa so requirements may change more than others

Rentista Visa Requirements

  • Can prove $400 monthly revenue from a recurring source
  • Official evidence of revenue (ie rental agreement). Apostilled.
  • All documents outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Requirements' below

Rentista Visa Costs

  • Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
  • Visa fee: $400 (only pay if approved)
  • Variable fees outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Costs' below

Ecuador's Rentista Visa is similar in many ways to the Pensioner Visa. The main difference is that income from the Rentista Visa does not need to be guaranteed for life. 

You only need to prove that you have $400 of recurring income from a legal source. Common sources include property leases and investments such as annuities. You may also qualify for this if you have an employment contract that continues whilst you're in Ecuador. 

The evidence you provide (ie lease agreement) needs to be apostilled in your home country before being translated into Spanish and notarized in Ecuador.  

Income can be from inside or outside of Ecuador. 

The biggest challenge with this visa is that it's relatively new and unproven. There are a lot more applications for the Pensioner, Investor and Professional visas. This uncertainly also means that the requirements are not necessarily consistent across each visa processing office. 

Best choice for:
Rentista Visa
Expats with recurring income outside of social security 
The Rentista Visa is ideal for expats with property or other investments in their home country
Michelle & Jason EE
Michelle & Jason
Expats Ecuador

5. Dependent & Marriage Visa (Amparo)

Casio Edifice EF527D-1AV

Ecuador Dependent Visa Requirements


  • Minimal documents required
  • Useful if spouse doesn't qualify for their own temporary residency visa
  • Lower visa fees than other temporary residency visas


  • Attached to the primary visa holder
  • Dependents still need to prove $400 monthly income
  • Can only apply after the primary visa holder has their visa

Dependent Visa Requirements

  • Official documents confirming relationship (ie birth or marriage certificate). Apostilled. 
  • Can prove $400 monthly income
  • All documents outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Requirements' below

Dependent Visa Costs

  • Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
  • Visa fee: $200 (only pay if approved)
  • Variable fees outlined in 'General Temporary Visa Costs' below

Ecuador's Dependent & Marriage Visas come under the broad category of Amparo visas.

The biggest difference with this visa is that you're pigging backing off someone else's legal residency. The three most common scenarios are spouses, children and marrying an Ecuadorian. 

Expat Married Couple

In the case of an expat married couple, then one person needs to qualify for a temporary residency visa (ie Pensioner, Investor, Professional, Rentista etc) and the second person applies as their dependent. 

This can be very useful if the second person does not qualify for a temporary residency visa on their own. ie Perhaps you're an older married couple, but only one of you receives social security to qualify for the Pensioner visa. 

You'll need to prove your married by having your marriage certificate apostilled in your home country. But, you only have 6 months from the date the certificate is apostilled to submit your application - the clock is ticking! And then it will need to be notarized and translated once you're in Ecuador. 

If possible, it's generally better for each person to apply for their own visa. Why? Because if something happens to the primary visa holder, then the dependent is stuck and will need to apply for their own visa to remain in Ecuador. Not an ideal scenario, especially so given you've just been through a stressful life event. No need to pile on.


Another common scenario is using the dependent visa for minors that are under the care of the primary visa holder.

In this instance, you'll need to provide an apostilled birth certificate from your home country and apply for the visa within 6 months. If you fail to submit within 6 months, you'll need to provide another apostilled birth certificate. Again - better to have this translated and notarized once you arrive in Ecuador. 

Marry an Ecuadorian

Marrying an Ecuadorian citizen won't automatically grant you citizenship. You still need to apply for a visa. The biggest difference in this circumstance is that you can skip the temporary residency requirement and go straight to permanent residency. Yay!

You'll need to provide your Ecuadorian marriage certificate or in the case of a de-facto relationship (union marital de hecho)- a certificate confirming you've registered your de facto reunion in Ecuador. 

The documents and process for getting married in Ecuador is a topic for another day. 

Longer total time required

If you're all trying to apply for the residency visas together, bear in mind that you may need to have the primary visa holder's visa approved before you can apply for any dependency visa(s). 

This can significantly increase the total processing time as it generally takes 2-3 months for each visa to process. So, you're looking at around 6 months total for all visas to be issued. 

The additional timeframe shouldn't be a significant burden if you're on the ball and have planned ahead, but it certainly throws a wrench in any last-minute visa planning. 

Cheaper fees

The visa fees for dependents are currently $200 - or half of the primary visa holder's fees. This fee is only payable once the visa is approved. 

The application fee remains the same ($50). 

$400 proof of income required for each dependent

On top of proving income for the primary visa holder, you'll also need to show $400 monthly recurring income for each dependent. This can be proven by printing the last 6 month's worth of bank statements from your internet banking and does not need to be apostilled, notarized, or translated.

Best choice for:
Dependent Visa
Children or spouses that don't qualify on their own
Whilst we generally recommend each person getting their own visa, a dependent visa is a great backup option. 
Michelle & Jason EE
Michelle & Jason
Expats Ecuador

General temporary visa requirements

On top of the specific or 'special' requirements for each of the temporary residency visas included above, you'll also need to provide the following requirements that are mandatory for all Ecuadorian temporary residency visas.

  1. Visa application form (Formulario de Solicitud de Visa)
  2. Passport with 6 24+ months validity
  3. Background check apostilled. Less than 6 months old. 
  4. Health insurance
  5. Migratory Movement Certificate
  6. Two color passport photos
  7. Color copy of main passport page
  8. Color copy of current visa / tourist stamp

1. Visa application form

Download from the official immigration site.

This needs to be completed in Spanish and witnessed by a notary.

2. Passport with 6 24+ months validity

Whilst the official requirement is that your passport is valid for 6 months, we recommend having at least 2 years (ie the duration of the initial visa). Why? Because it can be a real hassle to try and transfer your visa to a new passport and cost another $100 to transfer your digital visa to a new passport number.

3. Background check

This can mess up the entire process if you don't plan properly. Your background check should be completed at both the state and national level which can take time.

You only have 6 months from the date the background check is issued to apply for your visa. And, you need to have them apostilled during this time too.

Then, once in Ecuador, they need to be translated and notarized.

4. Health Insurance

You need to show proof of health insurance before they will issue your cedula. This can be private or public health insurance.

But, you'll only be able to apply for the public health insurance (IESS) once you have your cedula.

So, your best option is to obtain private health insurance just before you apply. You only need your passport to apply. The cost varies on numerous factors such as age and smoking habits, but factor in about $80/month for this.

Make sure you obtain a letter from your health insurance provider stating that you're covered and the period of coverage.

5. Migratory Movement Certificate

Get this from the Immigration office for $5.60

6. 2 color passport photos

On a white background. Neutral face or natural smile accepted.

7. Color copy of main passport page

8. Color copy of current visa / tourist stamp

Translation and notarazation

You'll need to have most of your documents notarized, and those that aren't in Spanish will also need to be translated first.

There are many notaries in Ecuador and they now charge set prices for each service.

General Temporary Visa Costs

Visa Fees

Fees for Ecuadorian temporary residency visas are:

  • $50: Application fee. Pay this when you submit your application. This is non refundable.
  • $400: Visa fee. Pay this only you're visa has been approved.

This applies to all of the visas mentioned in this article except for the dependent visa that has a reduced cost of $200 for the visa fee. The application fee is the same at $50.

Variable Fees

On top of the visa fees, you'll also need to pay for:

  1. Apostilles
  2. Notarizations
  3. Background check
  4. Translations
  5. Legal fees (if applicable)
  6. Postage (if applicable)

How much you're going to pay is going to depend on individual circumstances such as: how many documents you need to have apostilled, translated and notarized.

Translations and notaries are readily available in Ecuador for a reasonable fee. Budget $100+ for this.

Postage fees can also add up. If you're not aware, Ecuador no longer has a public postal service. So, you'll need to use private couriers like DHL and expect to pay $100+ to send a document.

So it makes financial sense to try and bring as many documents with you to Ecuador as you can just prior to submitting your application.

If you decide to use an immigration lawyer or visa facilitator, then you'll need to budget for this too. Fees vary by provider and some include variable costs like notarizations and translations in Ecuador.

Expect to pay around $1,000 in legal fees for an immigration lawyer to prepare your application.

Temporary Residency Visa Process

There are many small steps involved before you'll receive your Ecuadorian temporary residency visa. Expect the process to take approx 4 months, but just know that there are many variables that will impact total processing time and few that you can control.

The process for applying for temporary residency is:

  1. Ensure you have all of your required documents apostilled and with you
  2. Make an appointment with the Ministry
  3. Take your documents to be officially translated and notarized. Including your visa application form
  4. Get your Migratory Movement Certificate from immigration ($5.60)
  5. Submit documents at your Ministry appointment
  6. Pay fees ($450 in total) to the Ministry.
  7. Pickup cedula (potentially on the same day)
  8. Print digital visa and keep with passport

Should I use an immigration lawyer or visa facilitator?

The short answer is yes. The requirements change often and the process itself takes around 4 months even if you've submitted everything perfectly.

If you make a mistake and your visa gets rejected, you may need to start all over again - including getting your documents apostilled once more!

I initially tried to obtain my professional visa on my own. I took two long trips to the Ministry in Quito to try and understand the requirements and process straight from the horse's mouth. Both trips were a complete waste of time for me as I was just shown the exact same incomplete information from their website. It didn't include any of the finer details I really needed to know.

So, I gave up and used an immigration lawyer that was recommended to me.

My story is not unique. Many others have had similar difficulties when trying to complete it on their own. If you want to DIY then I'd recommend only doing so if you speak Spanish at an advanced level and have experience dealing with the inefficiency and frustration of Ecuadorian bureaucracy. Even then I'd recommend having an Ecuadorian friend go with you.

My Ecuadorian partner did try to help me, but she doesn't know the immigration system and so we still needed to get legal assistance.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like recommendations for visa facilitators or immigration lawyers.

Ecuador Visa FAQs

Can I update from a tourist to a residency visa whilst in Ecuador?

Yes. Unlike many countries that don't allow you to upgrade from a tourist visa to a more permanent visa, Ecuador has no problems with it. I'd argue the best way to apply for your visa is whilst on tourist visa (or an extension).

Can I apply for my resisdency visa at an Ecuadorian embassy in my home country?

Yes, you can. Just note that some of the processes will change from outlined here.

Is there a discount on visa fees for applications over 65?

Yes. Your visa fees are reduced by 50%.

Does it matter if I don't have a clean criminal record?

It can. Obviously it depends on the gravity of the offence and whether your explanation is reasonable. I'd definitely be engaging legal advice if you have doubts about this.

Wrapping up

Ecuador's generous visa program is suitable for a wide range of wannabe expats. From pensioners to young professionals and even investors, there are suitable pathways for many that want to come and enjoy Ecuador on a more permanent basis.

Just do your research well (you are if you're reading this!), pay attention to the time constraints, and don't be afraid to reach out for legal assistance should you have any doubts.

Did we leave anything out? Please comment below if we have so we can update if required. We'd also like to hear about your experience applying for residency visas in Ecuador.

Ecuador provides several visa options for expats wanting to stay in the country for more than 1 year. The most popular options for obtaining temporary residency in Ecuador are ‘Investor Visa’, ‘Retirement/Pensioner Visa’, ‘Professional Visa’, 'Rentista Visa' and ‘Dependant Visa’. 

Each of these visas has its own requirements and bureaucratic processes. Our article on Ecuador's visa requirements provides an overview of the different visa types, but today we’re only focusing on the Professional Visa requirements for Ecuador. 

Ecuador Professional Visa Fast Facts

  • Period: 2 years initially, indefinite upon renewal
  • Entries allowed: Multiple
  • Time outside Ecuador: Max 90 days per year for first 2 years. 
  • Fees: 
    • $50 Visa Application Fee
    • $400 Visa fee
    • $15 Cedula
    • $5.60 Certificate of Migratory Movement
    • $300+? Police record & university documents apostilled and sent to Ecuador
    • $500+ Facilitator OR translation & notarization fees (varies but budget $100)

First 6-12 months on visitor visas

Before diving into the details of applying for a Professional Visa, let’s take a minute to discuss your options before you need to apply for a temporary resident (migrant) visa. 

Visitors from most countries (incl US, CAN, AU, EUR) can visit Ecuador for the first 90 days on a Tourist Stamp obtained upon entry. Residents of 29 countries need to obtain a permit prior to entry. 

Once your initial 90 days are up, you can then get a ‘Tourist Visa Extension’ whilst in Ecuador for an additional 90 days. Bringing your total stay in Ecuador to 180 days.

Additional 6 months with a ‘Special Tourist Visa’

After that, you have a few options. One option not many people talk about is the ‘Special Tourist 6 Month Visa’ which allows you to stay for another 180 days. It costs $450 + $5.60 for the Migratory Movement Certificate. You’ll also need proof of health insurance.

This will bring your total stay within Ecuador to 1 year. This should be enough time for you to make a thorough exploratory trip and spend a few months in various cities and towns that you’re interested in. 

Or, you can apply for one of the temporary residence visas after your initial 3 or 6 months from inside Ecuador. Either way, we strongly recommend an exploratory trip rather than just moving here sight unseen. 

Professional Visa Requirements

A professional visa may be a great option if you have a university diploma and you took the course in-person.

Professional Visa Pros

  • No evidence of employment required
  • Visa isn’t linked to employment in Ecuador (or anywhere)
  • Low proof of income required ($2400 within last 6 months)
  • Not linked to any investment so frees up capital
  • Cheap at $450 for a visa that lasts 2 years

Professional Visa Cons

  • Need a university degree
  • University documents to be apostilled. Can be a real hassle. 
  • Risk that SENESYCT doesn’t approve university course
  • Requirements can change quickly without any notice

The main requirements that separate the professional visa from other temporary resident visas are:

  1.  A bachelor, or higher, level degree from a university recognized by the Ecuadorian government (SENESYCT); and
  2. The course was taken predominantly in-person (not online). 

The other main consideration is ensuring you allow enough time for the documents to be apostilled in your home country and brought into Ecuador. You can post them via DHL (or similar) if you’re already in Ecuador, but it can be expensive. 

You can bring the documents with you, BUT you may have a problem with the police record expiring as it’s only valid for 6 months. So, unless you’re making a visit back to your home country or have friends coming to visit in Ecuador to bring it for you, sending via private courier might be your only option. 

Note, you should also peruse the official requirements from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility (“the Ministry”), but also note that this information still requires interpretation and is not regularly updated. I wasted two trips to the Ministry in the South of Quito trying to find out first-hand information because there was a discrepancy between the requirements they’d posted online and what they actually needed. 

The full list of requirements and an explanation is provided below. 

A) Documents that do NOT require an apostille

  • Original passport with 6+ months validity
  • Color copy of main passport page
  • Color copy of current visa / tourist stamp
  • Passport-sized photo with white background
  • Migratory Movement Certificate: Get this from the Immigration office for $5.60
  • Proof of health insurance: Required before a cedula will be issued
  • Visa application form: Complete in Spanish
  • Proof of income: Bank statement (or internet banking print-out) showing you have the 6 x minimum monthly wage. The monthly minimum wage is currently $400, so you’ll need to show at least $2,400 in your account. They may also request to see that this is legal income - ideally, you can show your monthly wage is paid into this account. 

B) Documents that DO require an apostille

Get these documents issued and apostilled in your home country before sending to Ecuador:

  • Original criminal report
  • Copy of university diploma
  • University transcript
  • Mode of study letter

Original criminal report

Available from your home country. Only valid for 6 months. Time this well or you’ll need to send another apostilled criminal report.   

Copy of university diploma

Available from your university. They may charge a fee for this. Ideally, your university is already on the list of SENESYCT approved universities (download here or here). If not, then you can still apply and SENESYCT will most likely accept it if it’s from the US, Australia, Canada, or Europe, but it may take longer. 

University transcript

Available from your university. They may charge a fee for this. 

Mode of study letter

The mode of study letter needs to be issued from your university and needs to indicate that you took the course in-person. For some reason, SENESYCT does not like to recognize online-based learning.

When I applied for my professional visa there was a lot of back and forth with SENESYCT before they were satisfied that my course was taught in-person. The uncertainly arose because although I completed two degrees, I only needed one to satisfy the professional visa requirements and decided to just register that degree with SENESYCT. It proved difficult for SENESYCT to separate the transcription results for each course, and then ensure that all of those subjects were taught in-person.

The lesson here is that if your application doesn’t fit very neatly within the requirements, then you are likely to face issues and delays.

Professional Visa Process

Regardless of whether you hire a facilitator or go down the DIY route, you’re going to be largely on your own to ensure you have the above documents at the time of application. 

Once you’ve got all of the documents, including those that needed to be apostilled, the basic process is: 

  1. Make an appointment with the Ministry
  2. Take your documents to be officially translated and notarized. Including your visa application form
  3. Get your Migratory Movement Certificate from immigration ($5.60)
  4. Submit documents at your Ministry appointment
  5. Pay fees ($450 in total) to the Ministry.
  6. Pickup cedula same day
  7. Print digital visa and keep with passport
  8. Confirm SENESYCT university documents are registered

1. Make an appointment with the Ministry

This is easiest done by booking an appointment online. This also gives you the ability to choose the office where you’d like your appointment. Waiting times can vary significantly between offices, so it may be worthwhile traveling further than your closest Ministry. 

This English guide may help you navigate the Ministry's website and book the appointment.

Hiring a visa facilitator really helped me decrease the waiting time for an appointment. I booked an appointment online, but the closest available appointment was 2 months away. My facilitator was able to reschedule my appointment for the following week! Now, I have no proof, but I assume some money changes hands for this to happen. 

2. Take your documents to be officially translated and notarized

There’s no shortage of official notaries in Ecuador. Don’t forget your completed visa application form in Spanish. 

3. Get your Migratory Movement Certificate from immigration ($5.60)

Go to the immigration office and ask for the Migratory Movement Certificate. They’ll give you an invoice you need to pay at a bank and then return to collect your certificate.

The immigration office may not be very close to the Ministry. For example, in Quito the Ministry is in South Quito (near Terminal Quitumbe) whilst the Immigration office is near Parque Carolina (opposite Mall de Jardin). There’s a 45-minute taxi ride between the two offices so don’t get confused!

4. Submit documents at your Ministry appointment

Today is the big day! Armed with all of your documents (including translations and apostilles), take yourself to the Ministry office where you’ll be directed where to go. Be prepared to visit several different officers to complete various procedures.

Wait times can vary a lot at the appointment. My facilitator was again able to bump me ahead in some lines which helped reduce my total time at the Ministry to 2 hours.

5. Pay fees ($450 in total) to the Ministry

Ask at the Ministry what payment options are available. I was able to pay in cash directly at the Ministry in Quito. The payments are separated into a non-refundable $50 visa application fee and a $400 visa fee if your visa is approved. 

6. Pickup cedula ($15 fee)

Processing times can vary. I was able to collect my cedula the very same day as the last part of the process at the Ministry. 

Now, I was only able to pick up my cedula the same day because I was ok with my education level being stated on my cedula as ‘inicial’, which is the lowest level of education. This is despite applying for a professional visa that requires a higher level of education. 

This happens because SENESYCT then needs to go through their education verification requirements. I could have waited until SENESYCT approved my application and then printed off my cedula with my appropriate level of education, but I decided a cedula in my hand was better than waiting and I could always apply for a replacement cedula if I wanted. 

The biggest impact of having ‘inicial’ as my education level on my cedula was that it makes it harder to transfer your existing driver’s license to an Ecuadorian license

7. Print digital visa and keep with passport

Whilst at my Ministry appointment, I received an email from them with a copy of my new visa attached. I was expected them to print out a sticker and attach it to my passport. But no, I needed to print it out and keep it with my passport. 

I’ve actually forgotten to carry a copy of my digital temporary residency visa when entering Quito on an international flight. The customs officer asked a few questions but when he saw I also had my cedula, he eased up a bit and eventually let me through without seeing the visa. I’m not saying that your customs officer will be as sympathetic, so always try to keep your printed visa with your passport to avoid these uncomfortable situations.

8. Confirm SENESYCT university documents are registered

You have 3 months from the date the temporary visa is issued to when your documents need to be registered with SENESYCT. Mine took longer than this because there was a lot of back and forth with SENESYCT about the specific degrees I studied. 

This was actually a fairly frustrating exchange because it wasn’t clear exactly what SENESYCT wanted from my university. We provided everything, but as my case was a little bit different (2 degrees studied simultaneously), SENESYCT didn’t know how to process it. I’m still not convinced they got the answers they wanted, but they eventually approved my application after a bit of pressure. 

Should I use a visa facilitator or DIY?

So, now you know the requirements and the process, getting a professional visa should be a breeze right? Woooah, slow down there! I also thought it would be fairly straight forward to apply on my own.

But, after doing the research, realizing there is a gap in what the Ministry says on the website and what they actually expect, two trips to the south of Quito to visit the Ministry to find out the actual requirements, I got frustrated and hired a facilitator. 

If your Spanish is below intermediate/advanced, then I’d absolutely recommend at least taking a native Spanish speaker with you because there will be hiccups. One of these can easily derail your entire application. 

Pros of hiring a facilitator

  • Easy. All the heavy lifting is done for you
  • They know the updated information
  • Potentially cut ahead of queues
  • Peace of mind

With a facilitator, you just need to provide the documents and turn up to the Ministry for your appointment and cedula. 

Cons of hiring a facilitator

  • Costs. Be prepared to spend $500+ on a quality facilitator
  • You’ll still need to get your documents from your home country
  • Can be hard to know which facilitator to trust

Ultimately, I’d generally recommend a facilitator for expats unless they have an advanced level of Spanish, possess lots of patience, and have the luxury of time on their side. 

Feel free to contact us If you’d like details for visa facilitators in your area.

Have you applied for a Professional Visa? We’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below.



Follow Expats Ecuador (por favor)!
Expats Ecuador FacebookExpats Ecuador Instagram

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sloth subscribe Expats Ecuador

Join Us 

& receive updates before anyone else


Say Hola on Insta

sloth subscribe Expats Ecuador

Ecuador Updates

Be the first to receive Ecuadorian guides, news, and freebies!